Our Managing Partner, Uche Val Obi, SAN, was one of the speakers at the prestigious and widely attended May 2021 MSI Virtual EMEA Regional Conference, which had a boastful attendance of several firms and practitioners from across the globe, where he gave insights and made impactful contributions at the breakout sessions on Firm Operations and Technology, especially in the light of the COVID 19 pandemic which nearly destabilized the world economy.
The Managing Partner spoke about how Alliance Law firm, like many other law firms, was affected by the harsh realities that came with the pandemic, and how through strategic leadership, planning and innovation weathered the bad only to be rewarded with better. Despite the inevitable challenges that came with the pandemic, the firm still emerged relatively unscathed as its staff salaries and productivity remained strong and efficient.
He also heaped commendations on Alliance law Firm’s IT department (the team leader won the staff of the year award for the year 2020) as it showed its prowess and efficiency by ensuring the continued connectivity of staff across the country and abroad throughout the challenging period. The team also helped greatly in stabilizing the operations of the firm through the deployment of IT infrastructure and knowledge at its disposal. Thus, it turned out that technology was a life-saver that assisted those who invested in it.
The key takeaways from the discussions include:
- The need for investment in human capital development, IT infrastructures and systems.
- The need for proper planning and disaster management strategies.
- Adaptability and diversification in firm operations.
- The need to build capacity in remote working, e-learning and other modern working tools.
- Constant engagement with clients, especially in these trying times.
- Team communications must be encouraged and improved upon.
- Delegation of functions.
- Management must be suitably accommodating to issues arising from COVID 19.
- There need for compassion in relationship with clients (clients should be assured that we are in this together, and we are ready to help them get through things in the best and most cost-effective way possible) in order to sustain relationships and build integrity.
You can watch the sessions here on our YouTube page (Video contents courtesy of MSI Global Alliance)
Breakout Session 6 – Firm Operations.
This session captured the essence of how firms have successfully adjusted their operations for today’s environment. The question of how firms and their clients managed crises during the Covid-19 was deliberated upon.
Breakout Session 1 – Technology
This session hinged on whether technology improved and continues to improve the efficiency and productivity of firms. Also the question of whether firms were safe from this technology and ready for its use were answered.